There is a dire need for efforts to be channelled to Literacy promotion in the U.K. According to research, almost 400,000 (1 in 8) children in the U.K. do not own a single book. Added to this, it is estimated that 25% of 10 & 11 year old students in England are unable to read or write properly. All of the above isn't helped by the fact that only 5% of children’s books published in 2019 had a black, Asian or minority ethnic main character, despite 33.5% of school children being of black Asian or minority ethnic origins. These statistics are improving but more needs to be done.
We love going into schools and seminars to share our love of reading and writing and promoting diversity awareness too. As you may know. we write for 8-14 age group. Our debut novels will grab and hold the interest of many fans of either Hetty Feather or Percy Jackson. Our short stories follow the theme of the month and touch on many important topics like Mental Health and Black History. Our online talks and workshops will include a bit of background information to both books and our short stories.
The main elements of our virtual presentations are as follows:
- Includes a virtual talk (30-40 mins) Particularly suited to Years 4,5&6.
- Includes a talk about us and our books, short stories plus a Q&A and a short reading. The school is free to choose in advance which book or short story we read from.
- Is suitable for both for classes that have all pupils in school and for those that have some (or all) pupils at home. We encourage pupils at home to participate in the Q&A via the Chat function.
- Is suitable for groups of any size, within the limits of the digital platform used. We are happy working with Zoom and are able to host Zoom sessions (unlimited participants) but we are also open to using other platforms if preferred.
- We politely request that our visits are not recorded, but we are very happy for photographs to be taken.
Please contact us here if you would like to request a visit.